This is an important book for kids about the internet. Finally, parents have a resource available so that they could talk about the perils of the internet with their kids. How GREAT is that!
The problem with the internet is that it has no boundaries. So, we have to create online boundaries with our kids so that they can feel safer.
The internet can also be used for the good things in our lives. You can get information, educate people who can’t go to school, raise money to help people in communities and much more. So, there are so many benefits to the internet.
Dr. Jillian Roberts also includes some social media guidelines for kids to stay safe online, such as:
- Don’t post pictures or content about other people without permission.
- Don’t talk to people online who you never met.
- Ask your parents before creating an account on a news media platform.
- Use privacy settings.
- Never share passwords with anyone.
- Don’t spend your whole day on social media.
- Think before you post. Ask yourself if it is true, helpful, inspiring, necessary or kind. If it isn’t, please don’t post it.
I just love the interactive nature of the book. I think adults can use it too in order to show their kids how to be safe online. And we can all learn to be safer. There is so much danger lurking on the internet.
Dr. Roberts reminds the reader not to accept things that make one feel uncomfortable online. Instead, kids should tell someone such as parents, grandparents, teachers, and other people in positions to helps them about it.
I loved the book and will be recommending it to others in my circle of friends.