Coronary heart disease kills more Canadians than any other disease. What’s more, the majority of Canadians–eight out of ten–have at least one risk factor for developing it, such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol, obesity, type 2 diabetes, smoking, physical inactivity, and unhealthy eating habits. The good news is that many risk factors for heart disease can be prevented or controlled by making heart healthy changes to your diet and lifestyle.
In this book, leading Canadian nutritionist and registered dietician Leslie Beck explains how certain foods and food components work to guard against or contribute to developing risk factors for heart disease and, ultimately, atherosclerosis and heart attack.
Heart Healthy Foods for Life is an indispensable guide that will help you make smart choices to limit your intake of foods that can harm your heart and to add heart healthy foods to your daily diet. Complete with over 100 recipes that help prevent heart disease this book shows how easy it is to turn heart healthy foods into delicious meals.
This book includes information on:
- Understanding heart disease and assessing your personal risk
- Foods and nutrients to eat less often
- Heart healthy foods to eat more often
- Vitamins, minerals, and supplements for heart health
- Meal plans to lower cholesterol, blood pressure, and prevent heart disease
- Tips for grocery shopping and dining out
- Strategies to maintain a healthy weight and increase exercise
- Delicious heart healthy recipes with complete nutritional analyses.
I loved the book from beginning to end. Given that I have a background of bad genes favouring heart disease, this is going to be my indispensable guide to staying healthy for as long as possible.
Rating: 5+ Stars
Reviewed by: Irene S. Roth